Re: Oracle slowed down

From: ianal Vista <ianal_vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:05:33 GMT

"Bob Jones" <email_at_me.not> wrote in

> The first statement is a little vague. Low means how low? I would
> change "does not" to "sometimes does not".
> Again, in the second statement, good means how good? Close to 100%? Do
> you still consider cache size being inadequate then?

Bob (Mr. BCHR is golden) Jones,

http://oracledba.co.uk/tips/choose.htm

"In these days where people are still mistakenly worrying about hit ratios, here is a simple routine to bump up your hit ratio to any value desired. Thanks to Jonathan Lewis for some of the strategy used. "

Assume an OLTP system that consistentantly run with 50% BCHR & steady load.

From 10:00 until 10:15 The code above is run on the OLTP system selecting the BCHR to be 20%.

From 10:15 until 10:30 The code above is run on the OLTP system selecting the BCHR to be 80%.

Which of the following TWO statements are more correct & why? (comparing against response times from 09:30 - 10:00)

  1. From 10:00 - 10:15 the OLTP users will experience faster response
  2. From 10:00 - 10:15 the OLTP users will experience slower response
  3. From 10:00 - 10:15 the OLTP users will experience same response
  4. From 10:15 - 10:30 the OLTP users will experience faster response
  5. From 10:15 - 10:30 the OLTP users will experience slower response
  6. From 10:15 - 10:30 the OLTP users will experience same response

Inquirying minds await your response Received on Sat Apr 22 2006 - 17:05:33 CDT