Re: run an external OS script in Oracle 10g

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:46:32 GMT

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:59:26 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> /oracle/vmstat.sh doesn't look exactly like to be the same file as
> /usr/bin/vmstat.sh
> Other than that: why on earth are you running vmstat in a *database*.

Database scheduler has a lovely GUI interface and is much more convenient and user friendly then cron. The problem is the user used to run the job. After a small bug in security, discovered by Peter Finnigan and the exploit code published by some bozo on this very newsgroup, oracle changed the user which executes the jobs. As of 10.1.0.4, external executable jobs executed by Oracle scheduler should be owned by the user "nobody", not user "oracle".
To save you the trouble of googling, yes, I was the bozo that has published the exploit code for the scheduler bug. A friend of mine was very angry with me because he had to stay late and patch his databases to plug the hole, then easily exploitable thanks to yours truly.

--
http://www.mgogala.com