Re: Oracle slowed down

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:00:00 GMT

>> Because you look at the waits.
>> Any waits. Maybe you need to tune the buffer cache, maybe
>> you need to kick the sysadmin's ass.

> What waits?

buffer busy waits
free buffer waits

If either of those waits are high on the list, then your buffer cache may be too small.

>> Whatever.
>> You want a BCHR of 30% - I'll get it for you.
>> You want 100% -I'll get it for you.
>> And in the mean time, in both cases, end users are crying,
>> and tearing their hair out.
>> --

> Sure, have you ever seen a system with 30% performing better than 100%,
> provided everything else being equal other than the buffer cache.

I cannot say that I've seen a BCHR of 30% perform better than 100%, all else being equal. But what I have seen is a BCHR of 100% perform just as poorly as a BCHR of 30% due to very bad SQL.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net