Re: using UTL_FILE and HEXTORAW()

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:49:25 +0200

CJ wrote:
> Thank you Mr. Manry.
>
> Actually, I have a customer who interfaces to my software asking this
> question. Do the PL/SQL docs state the put_line does automatic data
> conversion, i.e. byte 0x1E to bytes "1E" ascii? If so, can you provide
> cite by page reference?
>
> thanks again.

Any idea what you are doing?
0x1e is 0x1e. Period. 11110 in bits.
How you want to interpret that is up to you. If you say it's ascii code, so be it.
If you want it to be unicode, fine.
Bytes are bytes are bytes. You don't convert from bytes to ascii!
Ascii is a convention, a standard, an agreement: "Hey if you see 00011110, it means this"

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...