Re: Oracle slowed down

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 00:37:37 GMT

"hans" <hansF_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2006.04.21.04.59.24.547000_at_telus.net...
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 04:27:31 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:
>

>> Hit ratio is not meant to tell you whether application is tuned. It
>> simply
>> shows hits verses misses. With everything else being equal, hit ratio is
>> very relevant to buffer cache.
>
> Please explain how this is relevant to buffer cache?

Perhaps a better question would be how is it not? I think we have agreed buffer cache tuning is necessary. How do you tune buffer cache without looking at hit ratios?

> Or, more importantly ... What does the BCHR actually mean in terms of
> performance?

Like I said, it shows how many reads are from the memory. It is very relevant to the performance, whether one is talking database or not. Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 19:37:37 CDT