Re: questions on scalability

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:27:04 -0400

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:00:18 +0200, Magnus Warker <magnus_at_warker.co> wrote:

>2) Scaling up
>
>How can we ensure that the hardware equipment is always capable to meet the
>requirements? How should we upgrade the hardware? And the most important
>thing: What can we do when the PP 250 machine is at its maximum upgradable
>limit?

If your application is not total crap (you have proper schema design, you have proper indices, you have tuned sql, you use bind variables, most of your SQL doesn't do more than 500 logical reads, you do as much with 1 SQL statement as possible), and you're building an OLTP type of an application with scalability in mind (read Tom Kyte's books), 2-4 CPU machines should be able to handle thousands to hundreds thousands of users concurrently.

-andrey

We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
we are currently looking for a DBA
remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 10:27:04 CDT