Re: "In search of a mythical beast," Clusterd, raid, filesystem

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:00:51 -0700

Andreas Sheriff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a client who has two disparate disk arrays that can't talk to each
> other.
> I'd like to have a shared Oracle home using a clustered filesystem, but, to
> my knowledge, I cannot find a compatible clustered filesystem that offers
> redundancy in case one of the arrays becomes a door stop.
>
> Does anyone know of any clustered filesystem that can provide redundancy
> through two disparate disk arrays?
>
> Here are some specifics:
>
> The database is 10gR2 SE RAC base installation (no patches yet).
> The OS is Redhat EE U3, 64 bit, SMP (1 dual core Xeon), 8 gigs of memory..
> Database files are handled by ASM using disks from each array.
> The two disk arrays are connected via iSCSI.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> PS: I *really* love the fact that 10gR2 allows you to configure mirrored
> copies of the OCR and voting disks during installation.

Could you be more precise when you say ... "disparate disk arrays that can't talk to each other." Storage arrays talking to each other?

Are you asking about multipathing? And whose array's are they (EMC? NetApp? Hitachi?).

If you are moving toward RAC the manufacturer or the array could make a very big difference.

Essentially your three choices are RAW (w/wo ASM), OCFS, or a NetApp.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org