Oracle Personal Edition Sucks!

From: <xg_at_oraclexg.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 23:49:19 -0700

http://codebetter.com/blogs/sahil.malik/archive/2004/08/28/23563.aspx wrote:

Allright, so I installed Oracle personal edition on my desktop. Here are my peeves against oracle -

  1. First of all, the installation was in 3 cd's equivalent - so much for microsoft being bloatware.
  2. When my PC boots up, I have Oracle's process taking up 96 MB of memory compared to SQL Server's under 10MB, the memory usage keeps going up exponentially as I use either product.
  3. Here's my biggest problem - when I wanted to uninstall Oracle, it isn't in add/remove programs like all other friendly citizens of the computer world, instead it has it's own crappy java based installer, and instead of uninstall they prefer to call it "Deinstall", and what's worse in the treeview it shows me, when I check an item to be unistalled, the zillions of items under it, are still unchecked - are they going to be uninstalled or will they be not? It takes a minimum of 3-4 hours to individually check everything there is.
  4. When the frickin' "de"-installation is complete, the installer remains on the system. But it's group dissappears from my start menu or add/remove programs or everywhere. Is there spyware in that?
  5. Talk about all the JUNK that Oracle installed in the first place, look at your registry before and after Oracle got done trading the soul of your poor PC, it adds many megabytes of information to the registry .. what in the world !!!!

Larry Ellison IMHO has only one business idea - "Defeat bill gates and trap every programmer in matrix like pods powering oracle databases". WHAT THE HECK !! Time he matured up a bit.

SQL Server, especially Yukon is a MUCH better dbms in my opinion, the only reason Oracle will continue to survive is

  1. Anti-Microsoft Zealots and Bigots .. and ..
  2. The huge installed base of Oracle (It isn't easy porting your DBMS from Oracle to SQL Server).