Re: Best way to convert SQL databases to Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:34:36 -0700

Admin.Matthew_at_gmail.com wrote:
> We are having problems converting our SQL databases over to Oracle. We
> have tried the free application Oracle provides on their web site and
> also tried using DTS. What is the best way to easily get databases to
> convert over without much extra work? These databases are not very
> complex so I don't see why we are getting so many errors during the
> conversation process.

You need to be far more specific.

SQL is not a product it is a language. Do you mean SQL Server? What version. What version of Oracle?
What are you converting? Tables? Views? Triggers? TSQL? .NET?

You need to meet us half-way.

But the simple answer is that data easily converts but applications do not. If you don't have a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" I'd suggest you make buying one the first order of business.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org