Re: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

From: GM <ganesh_boston_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 14:18:27 -0700

Yes Sybrand, I do have 2 tnsnames.ora files, one from a previous installation of Oracle client and another one from my current installation of Oracle XE. I am not sure why the old tnsnames.ora was touched when installing Oracle XE. My old tnsnames.ora has the following entry

XE_ABCDEFG =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =
ganeshmxpr52.edgewater.com)(PORT = 1521))

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = xe)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)

    )
  )

I was successfully able to use SQLPlus to connect to my Oracle XE database using gm/gm and hostname as XE_ABCDEFG. I did a tnsping XE and I got the following

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 19-APR-2
006 17:16:04

Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
C:\software\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

I tried tnsping XE_ABCDEFG and I got the same error that I pasted above. How is SQLPlus now able to connect using XE_ABCDEFG?

Thanks
GM Received on Wed Apr 19 2006 - 16:18:27 CDT