removal of standby database

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 09:04:05 -0700

Platform: AIX 5.3 Oracle EE 9.2.0.6

I knew I'd get bit ...

Database acipmdv on server Dev1
Database acipmdv on server Dev2

My task was to remove the db from dev2. I knew the previous dba had done something recently to have the db on Dev2 acting as a standby database for Dev1. Have never had my hands on such a beast.

Before beginning work I did a 'show parameter' (on Dev1) and spooled it, so I have captured all of the init parms. There I found

log_archive_dest_3 = service=(descriptio .......) etc., pointing to acipmdv on Dev2.

couldn't see any other parms that seemed to deal with the standby database.

First I logged on to the db on Dev1 and did

alter system set log_archive_dest_3='' scope=both

then bounced the db. It got an ora-03113 on open. A check of the alert log showed

29357 Errors in file
/db01/app/oracle/admin/acipmdv/bdump/acipmdv_lgwr_499858. rc:
29358 ORA-16072: a minimum of one standby database destination is required
29359 LGWR: terminating instance due to error 16072 29360 Instance terminated by LGWR, pid = 499858

Stupid me, didn't make a backup of anything else (other than captureing the parms). Tried the alter system to put the dest back. No good. Knowing this setup was done in the last couple of months I went to the alert log and pulled out all of the 'non-default' parms from the last startup before this standby was set up, putting them in 'recover_int.ora', then did a 'startup pfile=recover_init.ora'. Same result. At Db open we get an ora-03113 at the prompt, and alert showes the 16072.

So, where do I go from here ... how do I get the db to NOT want a standby database dest?

Thanks Received on Wed Apr 19 2006 - 11:04:05 CDT