Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in multi-home environment

From: Luis Santos <lcdsantos_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 07:07:28 -0700

Ed, we have here in Brazil several machines with multi Oracle homes. Most of them have a mix of 8i, 9i and 10g.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH normally have to point to the 64-bit lib path. (The SHLIB_PATH has to point to the 32-bit path.)

But Oracle changed the name of the lib patch since 9i.

In 8i and earlier we have:

o $ORACLE_HOME/lib64 for 64-bit libraries; and o $ORACLE_HOME/lib for 32-bit libraries.

In 9i and later we have:

o $ORACLE_HOME/lib for 64-bit libraries; and o $ORACLE_HOME/lib32 for 32-bit libraries.

I made the following addition to my shared oraenv script (located in /usr/local/bin):

(...)
#
# Install any "custom" code here
#

. $ORACLE_HOME/setlibpath.sh
(...)

And created an setlibpath.sh in all ORACLE_HOMEs in each machine.

In 8i and earlier the setlibpath.sh script is:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib64 export SHLIB_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib

In 9i and later the setlibpath.sh script is:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
export SHLIB_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib32

Hope it helps!

PS: I can check the lib serch path of any executable with the chart command. We have most HP-UX environment. I donīt know if this command is avaiable in Solaris.

--
Best regards
Luis Santos