Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in multi-home environment

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2006 11:57:14 -0700

EdStevens wrote:
> Joel,
>
> Thanks for the reply. In addition to myreply to HP, I have another
> idea to float...
>
> In my previous position, I took all of the Oracle environment settings
> OUT of .profile and put them into another file called ora_envonly.sh
> This file is then called from .profile, and is also called from any
> batch jobs/scripts that need oracle environment setup. Sounds like to
> implement that here, I'd need a ora_env817.sh and ora_env920.sh, with
> one of them (probably the 10) being called from .profile -- or may
> neither called from .profile and teach the DBA staff to always execute
> one or the other at login time.
>
> Thoughts?

Whatever works locally. Things to consider:

Sometime a newbie will not understand environments. Argument for defaulting .profile to test environment. Even the well-taught make mistakes.

With a disaster breaking, you want to be in a production environment asap.

When switching envs, watch if other env vars (ie, TWO_TASK) need to be reset. PATH inevitably is a pita.

Keep your /usr/local/bin clean. Amazing what confusion can arise when things get renamed, hardware gets upgraded, strange things are done because of vendor reqs, migrations, etc.

Get the staff on board so they don't do their own thing - and sometimes they have good suggestions.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.lasikathome.com/index.html