Re: Some Lateral thinking Required - Hard-Coded instance workaround

From: Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: 17 Apr 2006 10:27:23 -0700

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've just found out that the app uses a connection string (no tnsnames) so that rules out using tnsnames.The orany1 database is going to be scrapped and rebuilt again in the future so the option of connecting to orany2 and using db link / synonyms to point to orany1 cannot be used (good idea though). Our development is done offshore and we would be charged for these changes which is not worth it for the short time we need to relocate the app. I agree its bad practise and I believe none of other others apps have hard-coded references.

I did trying connecting directly to orany2 and creating synonyms that reference table_at_orany2 for any reference to table_at_orany1 in the code but it refuses to work.

Thanx again
John Received on Mon Apr 17 2006 - 12:27:23 CDT