Re: Some Lateral thinking Required - Hard-Coded instance workaround

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:59:12 -0700

Johne_uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to resolve a problem. I currently have a java application
> utilising an oracle instance called orany1. The developers made the
> mistake of hard-coding all the sql references to the tables with the
> instance name i. table_name_at_orany1. The application connects to the
> instance as the user that owns the application schema.
>
> However, I now need to move the application schema to another instance
> called orany2. This will be a short-term measure as the application
> will shorlty be replaced. The developers are apprehensive about
> changing the @orany1 references in the java code and have asked me to
> look into a workaround.
>
> I need to try and find a way to connect to the orany2 instance and for
> the table references to orany1 to actually read from the orany2 tables.
> I've tried using synonyms but his was unsuccessful.
>
> What about changing the service name in tnsnames.ora on the application
> web server? The server name will be orany1 and the sid will be orany2.
> I guess I can test this when I return to work.
>
> Thanks for any assistance in advance.
>
> regards
> John

I'd make the developers change the reference to one that is not hard-coded to teach them a lesson about bad behaviour having consequences. This will not be the only application they do this in and not the only time you will have to move an app.

BTW: Exactly how was this moved from test to prod?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org