Re: questions on scalability

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:22:34 GMT

"Magnus Warker" <magnus_at_warker.co> wrote in message news:e1ndph$siq$1_at_online.de...
> Dear group,
>
> we are currently building a database cluster with Oracle 10g on two
> Primepower 250 machines. Our goal is to start with small hardware
> equipment, because of the costs, but to be able to upgrade the equipment
> and make it stronger, as the load becomes stronger.
>
> Currently we have two main questions concerning this long-term issue:
>
> 1) Measurement of load
>
> How can we define the load with respect to hardware requirements? Or:
> Which
> hardware is required to serve a specific load and how is this load
> defined,
> e. g. number of users, connections and so on?

You just have to know what your hardware can handle. There is no better way than testing and experience. The work load is also highly dependent on applications and data.

> 2) Scaling up
>
> How can we ensure that the hardware equipment is always capable to meet
> the
> requirements? How should we upgrade the hardware? And the most important
> thing: What can we do when the PP 250 machine is at its maximum upgradable
> limit?

You can add more nodes to the cluster or upgrade existing nodes. I prefer the latter because more nodes require more maintenance work. Received on Sun Apr 16 2006 - 12:22:34 CDT