Re: rollbacks

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:56:21 GMT

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:11:16 -0700, Mark D Powell wrote:

> For tables defined in locally managed tablespaces a drop table sends
> the table to the recycle bin rather than actually drops the table data
> at the time of command. Depending on tablespace free space
> availability and extent allocation activity you might be able to
> "undrop" the table.

That is, of course, true, unless the DBA did not turn recyclebin parameter to "off". It is turned on by default, but there are DBAs who turn it off in order to prevent the annoying two commands needed to drop an object. Personally, I would never turn it off on a production database, but I do turn it off on development databases to save space. Drop means "sayonara, kiss it goodbye", no 2nd chance to get it back. If someone accidentally drops something on production, I do want a chance to bring it back. If somebody accidentally drops something on a small development database, I don't necessarily care too much. Guess where is the vast majority of DDL commands executed. Tables are like people: if you kill them, they don't necessarily rise back. If they do, people talk about it for milenia after the event takes place.

--
http://www.mgogala.com