Re: PING: Dan Morgan - re. PSOUG training

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:49:43 -0700

stevedhoward_at_gmail.com wrote:
> BD,
>
> I don't disagree whatsoever. I never have. That's exactly why I
> typed...
>
> "If people need/benefit from "structured", external training, then that
> is fine. Whatever is required to effectively grasp the material, and
> more importantly, apply it, is what should be utilized."
>
> What I do disagree with is one who laughs at someone else when they
> state *they* don't require such training.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

I've no doubt most people can learn on their own. I've also no doubt that most people do better when the collaborate with their peers.

As Jonathan Lewis has said more than once. Everyone in the room has far more experience and knowledge than any one person in the room. I like a room full of students because I often learn as much from them as they learn from me (well sometimes more I think).

No one in this business can possibly know it all. No doubt I could invest a huge amount of time learning FCF and FAN. And when I was done I'd know less than I'd have learned in one day in a room full of other DBAs.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org