Creating Multiple 9i Instances on one server

From: Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: 13 Apr 2006 09:57:46 -0700

Hi,

I am running a single Oracle 9i instance on Red Hat Linux. I need to add a second instance to the same box. Is it preferable to:-

  1. Create a new user to own the second instance and share the same ORACLE_HOME as the first instance.
  2. Create the new instance using the same user that owns the first instance. Then changing the value of ORACLE_SID as and when required.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of each of the above? What do I need to be careful of - esp. if I share the same Oracle Home.

Thanks in advance

Regards
John Received on Thu Apr 13 2006 - 11:57:46 CDT