HP Data Protector, RMAN and clone across hosts

From: <bsllas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2006 14:38:35 -0700

Hi,

We have recently moved our RMAN hot backups to Data Protector. The hot backups are working successfully. Restoring works fine. Cloning a database from one instance to another -- on the same host -- works fine. I'm using an RMAN script with the appropriate Data Protector parameters (parms='') to do the clone.

However, when I attempt to clone from one instance to another on DIFFERENT HOSTS, it failes. I've been working with both Oracle support and HP support, with no success yet. Clones are pretty common, so someone must know how to do a clone across hosts with DP in the middle!

Here is the error I get when I try the clone:

++++++++++++++++++++

56>
connected to recovery catalog database
connected to target database: TRN5 (DBID=982219324) connected to auxiliary database: PCH5 (not mounted) executing command: SET until clause
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on dev_0 channel at 04/10/2006 14:26:38
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name: ORA-27000: skgfqsbi: failed to initialize storage subsystem (SBT) layer SVR4 Error: 8324: Unknown error
Additional information: 7110
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

   SBT error = 7110, errno = 8324, sbtinit: internal error - invalid argument(s)
Recovery Manager complete.

Mon Apr 10 14:26:38 CDT 2006 ----------------End of
Script------------------

exit 1
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is the RMAN script that I'm using:

connect rcvcat 'mcwrman/pwd_at_RCAT'
connect target 'sys/pwd_at_MATRIX'
connect auxiliary 'sys/pwd_at_PCH5'

run {
set until logseq=56829 thread=1;
allocate auxiliary channel dev_0 type 'SBT_TAPE' parms'ENV=(OB2BARTYPE=Oracle8,OB2APPNAME=MATRIX,OB2BARHOSTNAME=pdb.is.mcw.edu,OB2BAR LIST=MATRIX-hot)';
#create a clone of the target db
duplicate target database to PCH5;
}

Thanks for any help! Feel free to email me directly.

Lori Received on Wed Apr 12 2006 - 16:38:35 CDT