Re: Multihomed Install

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:53:17 -0800

> Does it really matter what the OUI reports the URL to be? If the URL is
> reported to be "http://badhost:port/isqlplus" then from a remote
> system, unless "badhost" is in my DNS table or hosts file, I won't get
> to iSQL*Plus.

Good point.

Maybe the multihomed thing is no big deal, since there is only a single /etc/services file anyway-- Sort of like if you can get to the front desk of the hotel, and you know the room number you want (and have proper credentials), we know how to direct you, regardless of which door you chose to enter the hotel.

On another machine, I used 'ifconfig' to create two network interfaces. I installed Oracle software and database. I ignored the paragraph in the Installation Manual about multihomed machines, and let it do whatever it did. Did a mostly plain vanilla install.

Upon completion, I used OEM to access Oracle on that machine. I used the primary network interface (inserted 'http://123.45.67.89:1158/em' as the URL). OEM worked just fine. Then, I substituted the second IP address in the URL. Worked equally fine.

So, then it doesn't seem to matter whether you "tell" Oracle during install that the machine is multihomed. All IP addresses that resolve to that machine would weem to work equally well, so far as Oracle is concerned.

So then, why does the section in the manual about multihomed machines exist? What is gained? What Oracle behavior is different? Does it really matter? It doesn't seem top matter, so why the need for the ORACLE_HOSTNAME environment variable? And what does ORACLE_HOSTNAME do anyway? I couldn't seem to determine any effect.

Regards,

DG Received on Wed Apr 12 2006 - 13:53:17 CDT