Re: PING: Dan Morgan - re. PSOUG training

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2006 19:11:02 -0700

>There is already lots of good detailed documentation from oracle on how
>to setup RAC clusters on all the different hardware and vendor os
>combinations.

You don't work or play well with others, do you?

  1. For most people, a process is remembered much better when they've _done_ it than when they've _read about_ it. Imagine going into a job interview - "Have you done any work with database clusters?" "Well, I've read about it." Ummm. Ya.
  2. What happens when you take your little home-brew RAC config setup and actually get on with setting it up - and then something doesn't work just as the recipe says it will. The other instructor for this particular workshop has told me that some of these weekend workshops go like butter - and some have real problems. Sometimes because of the cowboys who just dive in and do what they think is right, rather than working with the group... but not always.

So what then? You gonna spend the next 4 hours poring through technotes, trying to solve some cryptic problem, only to find that you inadvertently set some init file parameter to a wrong setting or something? You could be at it for hours. Think it might help you if, say, there was an _experienced_ person in the room who's seen most of the hiccups before, and who could help?

Be afraid, potential employers... be very afraid.

BD Received on Tue Apr 11 2006 - 21:11:02 CDT