Re: Oracle market share

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2006 15:30:15 -0700

Matthias Hoys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any ideas where I can find a recent overview of the market share of Oracle
> database products versus other vendors ? I'm especially interested in a
> comparison between Windows and UNIX platforms and the "popularity" of 10g on
> Linux versus other UNIX platforms (AIX, Solaris, ...).

<sarcasm>
Good luck.
</sarcasm>

You may recall last year around may or june there was a gartner report that was reported in e-week which spawned the usual flame-fest here. So you could go to gartner.com or idc.com and search for oracle market share, and buy their report ($4500 for 31 pages at idc!). Maybe you could email the guy quoted here:
http://www.oracle.com/database/feature_db_dbleadership.html

It's basically difficult to measure, as different sized shops may be biased one way or another, as in number of users actually using the product. MS may count any server sale as an RDBMS sale, for example. And IBM may do the same thing with various products. The various iterations of Oracle licensing over time should give a clue of the fundamental difficulty.

Look at anything that pops up in a google search for market share oracle with a jaundiced eye. Funny how old all that stuff is, wish google had an order-by-date on web searches.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Now even "would you like fries with that" can be
outsourced: