what are recursive sessions?

From: <wagen123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2006 10:39:44 -0700

Hi,

Oracle10g R2 10.2.0.1.0 (64 bit)

>From the Oracle Database Reference manual:

SESSIONS specifies the maximum number of sessions that can be created in the system. Because every login requires a session, this parameter effectively determines the maximum number of concurrent users in the system. You should always set this parameter explicitly to a value equivalent to your estimate of the maximum number of concurrent users, plus the number of background processes, plus approximately 10% for recursive sessions.

Questions:
1) What is a recursive SESSION? I think I understand a recursive transaction (for example data dictionary and other recursive calls made to satisfy a db operation - which I think comes under transactions). 2) Why is a recursive SESSION required?
3) An example....

Thank you very much
wagen Received on Tue Apr 11 2006 - 12:39:44 CDT