RMAN 8i - automatically deleting backed up archivelogs

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2006 14:00:29 -0700

Hi, all.

I had an issue last week where, in my RMAN backup, I got a message that an archive log was "absent or out of sync with catalog". I did some digging on the groups, and saw a number of posts advising adding the "change archivelog all crosscheck" command to the script.

I did this, and my archive log errors went away.

I also noticed that the backed-up log files were gone from the disk after the backup completed.

I am looking at the online product docs, at the page outlining syntax for the rman "change" command. Nowhere here does it say that the above string will delete backed-up archived log files (it talks about _marking_ files as deleted, but not deleting files), but that seems to be exactly what it's doing.

Can someone clarify that this is the intent of the "change archivelog all crosscheck" string? - to confirm that deleted archive log files are purged from the catalog, and that backed up archive log files are deleted?

Also - can someone suggest whether it is more appropriate to put this crosscheck command _before_ the current backup command (ie to crosscheck all archive log files first) or after (to delete the backed up files)... assuming it makes a real difference either way...?

Thanks!!

BD Received on Mon Apr 10 2006 - 16:00:29 CDT