Re: Standard Edition Feature Availability

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 10 Apr 2006 10:26:19 -0700

Well, it depends on a point of view. However, for example when using servers from SUN the only ones that can be used with SE are the low end ones. Everything above the lowest ranges is having a CPU capacity higher than is SE limitation. So I think it is safe to say that majority of environments (midrange + high end vs. just low ends) can not be used with SE. For example just recently we have bought a small box from SUN for mere 30k USD (really not a big deal in todays IT prices) and even this not expensive server is not applicable for Oracle Database Standard Edition.
I remember times not far ago when this CPU limitation was only related to the INSTALLED CPUs, but it seems to me that Oracle is making its licensing conditions more customer hostile each year. :-(

--
Dusan Bolek