Re: Creating a table while loading data into it - possible?

From: Dave Baker <newsgroup_poster_at_jodael.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:11:14 +0800

On 9 Apr 2006 10:40:03 -0500, Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Access can connect to Oracle, so you could use Access to do it.
>But, Access and Oracle don't just straight out talk to each other. You
>have to do perform some form of a middle step.

Actually Access can pretty well talk to Oracle. I found this website:

http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~ccmjs/access_to_oracle.htm

which allowed me to open Access & my table, then export it straight to Oracle.

However, unfortunately the result was a very messy structure - although my Access table is using Number data types, they got converted to varchar2 data types in the export to Oracle, and even worse they got converted to 250 character varchar2 data types even though they were just simple integers initially.

So, I suspect that any way I try to do it automatically I will have a similar problem. So, back to the drawing board and read in the Access table structure, create similar in Oracle, then send the data across.

Dave Received on Mon Apr 10 2006 - 02:11:14 CDT