Re: At my wits end with ASM file names...

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2006 10:03:42 -0700

> control_files=("+DATA_STRUCTURED/colon/control01.ctl", "+DATA_STRUCTURED/colon/control02.ctl", "+DATA_STRUCTURED/colon/control03.ctl")
>
> CREATE DATABASE "colon"
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed
> ORA-00200: control file could not be created
> ORA-00202: control file: '+DATA_STRUCTURED/colon/control01.ctl'
> ORA-15012: ASM file 'colon/control01.ctl' does not exist
> ORA-17502: ksfdcre:5 Failed to create file +DATA_STRUCTURED/colon/control01.ctl
> ORA-15081: failed to submit an I/O operation to a disk

Try removing the CONTROL_FILES parameter from the init.ora and set DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST to the diskgroup where you want control files to reside. Then try creating the database again. Since all other files use explicit diskgroup names, they will be created where specified, but control files will be created in db_create_file_dest with OMF names. Right after the CREATE DATABASE statement, issue

select value from v$parameter where name='control_files'

and copy the OMF names Oracle generated when creating the db into CONTROL_FILES parameter (don't forget to surround them with single quotes.) DBCA uses the following query to form the whole CONTROL_FILES line (in 10.1):

select concat('control_files=''',
       concat(replace(value, ', ', ''','''), '''')) ctl_files
from v$parameter where name ='control_files';

Then it does

host echo &ctl_files >>/path/to/init.ora;

Alternatively, I think you can use asmcmd to create aliases for these OMF control files and specify those in control_files (never tried it myself because I didn't yet play with 10.2 ASM and there's no asmcmd in 10.1)

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Sun Apr 09 2006 - 12:03:42 CDT