Re: dbms_sql.parse Question

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Apr 2006 16:10:04 -0500

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net wrote:
> Galen Boyer wrote:

>> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, bob--nospam--_at_dynamicpsp.com wrote:
>>> Please enlighten me, what is to be gained by being able to parse DDL
>>> without executing it?
>> I could see a use for this.  I'm developing a patch that has multiple
>> modifications.  I'm in my local testing area and am readying the file
>> that is going to contain these alter statements.  As I continue
>> adding alters, I'd like to test the file for correctness without
>> having to constantly back out the altering.
>>

> Isn't that what a test database is for?

I'm talking about a test database.

> We set up a test database that mimics production. We then apply our
> changes to the test database, and capture those DDL (or DML) changes
> in a script.

Applying the changes is what I'm talking about.

> Once the script is built ,

Exactly. While I'm building the script, I like to test the thing, along the way. My point is that during that time when I'm not done yet, I like to test the whole thing as I continue to build it.

If I could just have the thing test compilation/parse it, I could have more success at the initial point of testing this script.

Basically saving time creating the patch is why I could see this being useful.

--
Galen Boyer