Re: Need suggestion for 8i migration decision

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:54:22 +0200

On 7 Apr 2006 22:14:54 -0700, ccwei_at_ms1.pchome.com.tw wrote:

>Hi All
>
>My company decides to migrate Oracle 8i database(about 10 databases)
>this year.
>
>I've collected several comments from ISV and other DBA peers as below
>
>1. 8i will be desupported at the end of 2006.
>2. 9i will release final patch at mid of 2006. One of ISV told me it's
>more mature than 10g.
>3. 10 g has several enhancement including mamangement/development but
>the final
> patch was not released yet.
>4. 2 or 3 known bugs in 9i optimizer.
>
>Could anyone give me more insights to me or advise more direction to
>evalute this?
>
>Jeff Chang

1 ECS support for 8i ended on december 31 2004, so it has been desupported for quite some time now.
2 This will be contradicted by most people here. Without further specification and details the opinion of the ISV seems very unlikely 3 Is this a reason not to upgrade?
4 There are no products without bugs. You need to identify those bugs and check whether they impact your situation, and when Oracle will address them. Do you only upgrade to a product without bugs? Then you will never upgrade. 8i has bugs which have not been addressed in 8i, but in 9i. So why are you still running 8i?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA