Re: PING: Dan Morgan - re. PSOUG training

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2006 11:10:09 -0700

stevedhoward_at_gmail.com wrote:
> <<Unfortunately this does not allow for adding nodes and dropping nodes
> and horizontal scaling is a big part of what RAC is about. >>
>
> Sure it does. I used those instructions (and extended them,
> admittedly) and did a three node one at home about a year or so ago.
> Three months later, I built our first RAC cluster at work because of my
> "experience", LOL. It is still running as I type this.
>
> It did take awhile, but I learned far more doing it that way, as I am
> somewhat "thick headed" :).
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Cookbooks have their place, formal and independent study have their place, experience has its place, and hands-on labs have their place. The problem with cookbooks is they may engender more superstitious behavior than a well-thought-out lab. There is also value to having multiple human brains communicating in a lab. The upside of cookbooks is you can get things done cheap and quick, as you pointed out. They sure don't age well for what we do.

Also, people learn in different ways, different work environments have different requirements. What applies to all is a good understanding of fundamentals combined with making things work well. Doing incantations in a GUI without asking "why?" is non-learning.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Sergeant Oracle of the LAPD Hollywood station!