Re: dbms_sql.parse Question

From: amogh <amogh.r_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:10:21 +0530

Vladimir M. Zakharychev wrote:
> "amogh" <amogh.r_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:VCmZf.55$nf4.97_at_news.oracle.com...
>

>>I need to parse a CREATE OUTLINE statement, but wish not to create the
>>outlines themselves. Whats wrong with doing that ? Outlines cannot be
>>created on all SQL statements. I do not think there's anything wrong
>>in wanting to just parse this DDL and not execute it.
>>

> And this would achieve what? Ok, so you've parsed your
> CREATE OUTLINE, now what? If you're going to throw
> it away now, then what's the point in parsing it? If you're
> going to execute it, then why not let Oracle execute it
> right away? The only reason for parsing without executing
> would be to check the statement syntax - but again, what
> are you going to do with validated statement? Throw it
> away? No point in doing this. Execute it? Why not execute
> it right away? If it's valid - it will execute, if it's not - it will
> throw you an error explaining why it's not valid.

True.

> Please
> enlighten me, what is to be gained by being able to parse
> DDL without executing it? To me, it's completely pointless,
> but I may be wrong, I know, for I've been many times before
> and surely will be many times more...

I would want to just parse it if I'm writing an application to parse user inputed DDLs and add them to a SQL script. I would'nt want to add incorrect DDLS into the script. Right now I will have to drop each of these objects since they would be created by the parse procedure.

I feel this is a valid need.

Rgds.
Amogh Received on Fri Apr 07 2006 - 08:40:21 CDT