Re: maximum # of connections per dispatcher

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2006 16:15:23 -0700

bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:
> nothing to do with Oracle, but Joel tends to have interesting tidbits
> in his sig:
>
> "Radiation is good for animals, in so far as it gets rid of people."
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4875194.stm
>
> -bdbafh

Good one! I took an honors history class in college about problems in the Atomic Age, taught by a fellow who specialized in the history of science, mid '70s. We got Edward Teller to give a talk, man that guy pissed me off, claiming nuclear power was safe (I would be pro nuclear power were the obvious problems addressed, btw). He had some odd ideas of "safe," calling some accidents that already had happened not really nuclear, ignoring the unique energy densities of systems built around nuclear piles. My favorite was the one where the steam explosion blew the pile up into the containment vessel ceiling, shmushing the people standing on the pile (NY 1961, IIRC).

A few days ago Discovery channel had a "World's Most Extreme..." show with a segment about irradiated and poisoned Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches buried in a landfill in plastic bags. They got out and colonized the local town.
http://members.aol.com/kaltofen/aolMKroach.html So much better with video, just before bedtime...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Republican strategist Dan Schnur, a regular
contributor to FlashReport, said attribution is the fundamental