Re: linux /proc/sys/vm/pagecache for oracle

From: Fabrizio Magni <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:56:50 +0200

NetComrade wrote:
> From RedHat
> (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/s1-proc-directories.html):
> "swappiness — Determines how much a machine should swap. The higher
> the value, the more swapping occurs. The default value, as a
> percentage, is set to 60."
>
> To me swapping means swapping processes out of memory, including their
> data structures. File System cache doesn't have anything to do with
> that, imho.

Swapping out means swapping pages outside physical memory regarding what they are.

I remember a famous discussion on the kernel developer mailing list.

Kerneltrap has an excerpt:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000

Caching seems *heavily* influenced by swappiness.

Regards

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com