Re: Can't connect to Oracle after domain join

From: Massimo <barone_at_mclink.it>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:19:27 +0200

"Massimo" <barone_at_mclink.it> ha scritto nel messaggio news:e0uajp$2btm$1_at_newsreader1.mclink.it...

> Hi to all; I have an Oracle 8 database running on a Windows Server 2003
> computer which is a stand-alone server; the Oracle DB works perfectly.
>
> I'm in the process of building a domain and moving all servers and clients
> into it, but when I join that server to the domain, Oracle stops working.
> Actually, it's working fine (services are up and running), but any client
> application (including those running on the server itself) can't no longer
> connect to it; SQLPlus gives an error of "shared memory realm doesn't
> exist". If I remove the computer from the domain and make it a stand-alone
> server again, everything resumes working.
>
> The domain is a Windows 2003 Active Directory domain, and I think the
> problem can somewhat be related to the DNS suffix the computer gets
> automatically after joining the domain; before this, it didn't have any
> DNS suffix. The hostname and the IP address of the server didn't change,
> anyway.

Solved. It was needed to modify SQLNET.ORA, changing "SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)" to "SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE)"; the DNS suffix doesn't seem to be related to the issue. It seems like Windows authentication doesn't work on a Windows 2003 server if this is member of a domain... that's probably related to Oracle 8 not being fully compatible with that OS; luckily, we don't use it, so disabling it didn't cause any problem and made everything work fine again.

Thanks anyway to everyone who answered.

Massimo Received on Wed Apr 05 2006 - 13:19:27 CDT