Re: 9i Slow SQL Performance - EXPERTS apply within

From: <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2006 07:05:56 -0700

Hi John,

Unfortunately, this is an apples to oranges comparison. Oracle 9i on two different platforms, and Oracle 8.1 thrown in the mix. It's not the worst thing in the world to have multiple platforms in your environment, but comapring them won't make any sense. My initial suggestion would be to get test and prod on the same platform. I'm not sure where WIndows fits in. I know that is usually easier said than done, however.

If your immediate problem is that the query on the 9i production instance needs improvement, which it sounds like it is, then tune that.  I don't see where the 34 seconds number is originating?

Run a 10046 trace to see exactly what it is waiting on.

alter session set events '10046 trace name context forever level 12'; run your query
tkprof the trace file in udump

Then, go back to management with a business case for having consistent environments.

Regards,

Steve Received on Wed Apr 05 2006 - 09:05:56 CDT