Re: Technical differences Oracle 9i vs. Oracle 10g

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:51:25 GMT

> What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is
> there a list some out there somewhere?

The following document lists the new features in 10g that are not available in 9i:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm

> Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and
> communicate?

Yes. They can even coexist on the same server.

> Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i?

The latest and greatest version of 9i is 9.2.0.7. The 9.2.0.8 patchset is slated to be the terminal patchset for 9i. According to Metalink Note 190435.1, Error Correction Support for 9.2 will end 1 July 2007.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net