Re: 10g ASM Pros and Cons

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:39:25 GMT

jbmorla_at_gmail.com wrote:
> At the end of the day, has anyone used it in production?

Haven't used it in production. And I don't plan to...not in the forseeable future yet.

> Recovered a database using ASM?

If your database is in ASM, then you'll want to use RMAN for your backup and recovery operations. According to the docs (http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/storeman.htm#sthref1759):

"Because ASM files cannot be copied through normal operating system interfaces ..., RMAN is the preferred means of copying ASM files. RMAN is the only method for performing backups of a database containing ASM files. RMAN can also be used for moving databases or files into ASM storage."

Your usual RMAN scripts should work just fine. RMAN manages the interface to ASM for you.

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net
http://www.peasland.net