Re: What DB diagrams needed?

From: Doc Waters <davidmwaters_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Apr 2006 16:23:16 -0700

jackal wrote:
> Hi,
> Can you please suggest me about the diagrams i need to depict the
> workflow in Pl/SQL?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jackal

Jackal

I assume you are talking about documenting the design of the application that has ALREADY been built. The system's design should be documented before it is built, but yours is not the first (and not the last) to be built like this.

As far as what diagrams are needed that is a pretty open question.

That depends on the style of system that you have built. Is your PL/SQL broken into functional groups? Do you use objects? etc

The style of development that has been used would dictate the documentation needed.

At this stage I would be looking at three things:

1. Why do you need to document?
2. What do you need to document?
3. How do you need to document?

Answer the first two and the third may very well present itself. I personally like to use Use Case to design and document systems and then after that document the code grouped by function (as it is built). Have a look at wikipedia for details on what deliverables you can chose to deliver.

Another point just came to me. Do you really need diagrams (other than ER)? Perhaps you could pull the code out the database as text and manipulate that into a nice document that tells the story of the system??? I personally find diagrams to be time consuming (again other than ER which can be reverse engineered easily enough). A high level big picture diagram is often appropriate of course.

Doc Received on Tue Apr 04 2006 - 18:23:16 CDT