Re: Different OS versions between Test and Prod

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:05:40 -0700

Bob Jones wrote:

>> Is it your belief that there are no credible issues related to running
>> one version of an operating system in test and another in production?

> As I asked earlier, give me just one example of any issue other than bugs
> that would impact Oracle applications.

And I responded with an example. A 10gR2 RAC cluster running on RedHat 3 in test with the Grid OMA will not work with RedHat 4.

But why say: "other than bugs?" Isn't that 99% of the reason not to do so?

>> That you would sign off on a migration plan where production code was
>> never tested against the production operating system?
>>

> What does this have to do with running the same version of OS or not? It
> needs to be tested regardless.

Exactly. It needs to be tested. So how can you have different versions in test and prod? Signing off on "my app works in Solaris 2.8 so therefore it will work in Solaris 2.10 is insane." It might work beautifully ... it might also crash and burn.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org