Re: S.A.M.E. setup question...

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:26:58 +0200

Ronald Rood schrieb:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:05:17 +0200, Volker Hetzer wrote
> (in article <e0ra2t$tc0$1_at_nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com>):
>

>> We are about to plan our next database server.
>> (Linux RH 3, Oracle 10.2.0.1.0)
>> It's got 6 discs, so it's a pretty small system
>> and we have tentatively decided to go with oracles
>> S.A.M.E. approach, namely as much mirroring as
>> necessary and as much striping as possible. And
>> put the slowest data (probably OS and archived logs)
>> on the inside and the performance critical data
>> on the outside of the discs.
>
> Volker,
> for the storage I would go for ASM. Have you considered this ? It really is
> worth taking a good look.

Hi!
You were right.
After I figured that ASM can work with partitions we found a way. My current idea is:
- We combine our six discs into three drives (Mirroring), using

   RAID 1 on the controller
- partition each drive into

Lots of thanks for pointing me to ASM!
Volker Received on Tue Apr 04 2006 - 10:26:58 CDT