Re: Questions about shared server

From: <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2006 23:02:33 -0700

>>A tuning expert recommended NOT using multi-threaded server was and it
>>worked fine.
>
>Did he give you a reason?

Can not remember exactly, but we do have transactions that might take longer then a sec or two. And - it is my impression that if we do not have too heavy load in number of sessions using dedicated server will give less overhead(?).

>>Having upgraded to Oracle 9.2.0.4 for Linux there are some performance
>>problems. Oracle doc says:
>>"In general, it is better to be connected through a dispatcher and use
>>a shared server process. This is illustrated in Figure 5-2, "Oracle
>>Shared Server Processes". A shared server process can be more efficient
>>because it keeps the number of processes required for the running
>>instance low."
>
>What makes you think shared server will help?

I do not think shared server will help, the text was (as I wrote in the top of the paragraph) cut and pasted from Oracle doc (and found by using Tahiti to search). I suspect that shared server is what makes the problem, and that is why I did ask the next question:

>>Question 1: Is this true - is it really better to use a shared server
>>than dedicated or should we try to avoid using shared server (as in
>>8.1.7) when experiencing performance problems?
>
>Have you tried reading the documentation? tahiti.oracle.com

Yes, and I do not think I found any good advice on this, that is why I tried here. Received on Tue Apr 04 2006 - 01:02:33 CDT