Logon trigger questions

From: <dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2006 12:23:01 -0700

I am using Oracle 9.2.0.5 on HP NIX 11i but question is general.

I am developing a logon trigger for running some alter session commands. However, if there is any error in execution of logon trigger, I will still like logon to succeed. In addition, I will like record Oracle error message in alert.log.

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER my_logon AFTER LOGON ON database BEGIN

END;

  1. Will above code do what I want?
  2. What is Oracle function to write to alert log?
  3. I do not know when trigger becomes invalidated instead of giving error? If trigger is invalidated, is only fix is to conn / as sysdba and disable it.