S.A.M.E. setup question...

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:05:17 +0200

Hi!
We are about to plan our next database server. (Linux RH 3, Oracle 10.2.0.1.0)
It's got 6 discs, so it's a pretty small system and we have tentatively decided to go with oracles S.A.M.E. approach, namely as much mirroring as necessary and as much striping as possible. And put the slowest data (probably OS and archived logs) on the inside and the performance critical data on the outside of the discs.

So, we plan two mirrored groups. OS inside, then archived logs, then - yes, that's my question. How is I/O load normally for datafiles control files and redo logs during an insert?

Our typical load scenario is a check program using oracle spatial.

Lots of data gets inserted into different tables using sql*loader conventional path (typically at least one 512MB redo gets full), statistics get collected, for our five complex queries get executed, which churn through the data just inserted (mostly spatial data), return very little data (check results), and then the data gets deleted.

This happens about 40 times a day (four users, 10 times per user).
For concurrency reasons I can't mess with the indexes, they have to stay active all the time.

We've got 2G of RAM, so I can configure a large buffer cache.

I'm not really sure where there's more load, on the redos or on the data files. I guess, control files aren't critical as they only get written after each commit, don't they?

Lots of Greetings and Thanks!
Volker Received on Mon Apr 03 2006 - 09:05:17 CDT