Re: Migrate with exp + imp

From: noone <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:50:36 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Tom Breed wrote:

>> Migrate Oracle 8.1.7.4 database to 9.2.0.6 on HPUX 11.00 (PA-RISC)
>> We're told to export de '8' database with the user SYS. Till now
>> we've always exported our databases by the user system. The reason
>> for this should be that partitioned tables will not be exported
>> correctly (??)
>> I have done several searches on Metalink, but I can't find anything
>> about this. Anyone ?
>> Thanks
>> Tom Breed

> SYS owns the data dictionary - there is a chance you add
> objects, or -worse- add to existing internal tables, change
> procedures, etc...

> I would *never* advise to do exports as SYS. There is a point
> of concern: grants given by SYS will not be exported; better
> check on those, and create a script to grant them again in
> your 9.2 environment

> But surely, you will have a test run? SYS errors should show
> up, if anything from my horror scenario would happen.

It would be really nice if Oracle could implement the Oracle Rdb (previously DEC Rdb) upgrade capability. To "convert" from one version to the next is very simple.

shutdown database(s) (~3 minutes - give or take a bit) cold backup database (similiar to RMAN - time depends on size and target) install new software (~20-30 minutes)
$RMU/convert/[no]commit <db> (~30 seconds per db using RMU (Rdb Maintenance Utility) )
start database(s) (~2 minutes each )

If something fails, and you used nocommit, you can roll in the previous version and do an RMU/CONVERT/ROLLBACK.
 No catxxx, no export/import. very easy! very clean. I have had to upgrade as many as 45 databases at one time - took 3.5 hours. Cold backups took 3 hours. (using 16 very big tape drives and each db backup was parallelized to 2-3 tape drives each) 20 minutes to install the software. 10 minutes to convert and restart all 45 databases.

Piece of cake! Received on Fri Mar 31 2006 - 12:50:36 CST