Re: Restricting Oracle to one processor in a two-processor box?

From: noone <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:31:30 GMT

Paul wrote:

> Hi all,

> I have to set up a startup company's IT infrastructure. I want to use
> Oracle, however the licences are expensive.

> I am planning on having two servers each with dual processors (= 4
> processors in total), however I don't wish to pay for 4 licences. I am
> prepared to pay for a licence on both boxes so that I have redundancy.

> I am being told by my Oracle rep that if I have 4 processors I will
> have to pay for 4 licences. I want to be honest here, so what I am
> asking is this:

> Can I order Oracle in such way that the software is restricted to only
> one processor on either of the boxes - I did search the Oracle site
> but can't seem to find the info I want. I would be grateful for any
> pointers.

> They can restrict XE to one processor, so why not their other db
> products?

> Thanks in advance for any info.

> Paul...

Paul, The only way that you can do this is if your system allows you to restrict the resources of the operating system instance to one processor - simmilar to a VPAR in a P570 running AIX.

If you are running Linux or Windows you must pay for the number of CPU's in the box - I have not seen any instance where they force you to pay for a CPU that "could - but does not" exist. But then again- dealing with Oracle sales people is like going to a flee market; YCMV. (your contract may vary) Received on Fri Mar 31 2006 - 08:31:30 CST