high availability

From: maxim2k <maxim2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:47:32 +0100

Hi,

I use Oracle Database since version 8i, but I'm new to high availability, please excuse my basic questions. :-)

I've the following hardware (and I can upgrade it if it's not enough):

Two Dell PowerEdge 1850 servers

	two Intel XEON EM64T 3Ghz (or more) with 2MB of cache
	4GB (or more) of RAM
	two (or more) Gigabit Ethernet NICs
	Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 (x86 or x86_64)

iSCSI-based SAN
	EqualLogic iSCSI-based storage array PS100E [1]
	Dell Gigabit Ethernet switches

I'd like to implement an HA solution for my new Oracle Database to prevent long downtimes if one of the servers fails, etc.

I'd like to use Oracle Database 10g R2 on Linux x86 or x86_64. I'd prefer Standard Edition over Enterprise Edition to save some money, but I'm not sure what HA options SE provides (if any at all).

Since I'm new to HA for Oracle Database, I really don't know where to start, what technologies to consider and look more into, etc.

I've heard of RAC, Data Guard, etc., but there is so much stuff about HA for Oracle Database, that it's easy to get confused at the beginning ...

Can anyone quickly summarize the pros and cons of each HA technology?

Thanks a lot.

[1] http://www.equallogic.com/pages/products_PS100E.htm Received on Fri Mar 17 2006 - 11:47:32 CST