Re: Oracle Sorts Using Single-Threaded Temp File

From: Herod <herodt_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2006 12:26:29 -0800

I don't think so (feel free to argue everyone)

the files are in tablespace

session writes to a tablespace, oracle redirects to the files available.

Breaking files up on a single tablespace over multiple mount points in my mind will slow things down - no proof, just extra IO for the OS to switch read/writes between different mount points, as mount points TEND to point to different physical disks.

We experimented awhile back, and in a big big big move to a SAN we went with a whole bunch (30-40) 18g 15K disks which we then conifigured in a SAME environement and then stripped LUNS "vertically" across those disks so each disk had a bit of the LUN, then our temp tablespaces and undo tablespaces go onto those LUNS. We did similiar for the redo. So the SAN takes care of splitting the sorts up for us.

Blazingly fast compared to the 72g 10k disks, and the 300g 10kdisks seem like old style floppies.

I haven't any data to prove any of this and post (privacy).. but it seems to work well.

"They" are correct about ASM as far as I know.

http://yaodba.blogspot.com/ Received on Fri Mar 10 2006 - 14:26:29 CST