Re: Relocating undo tablespace

From: Herod <herodt_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2006 20:53:30 -0800

V$FILESTAT is a good, but simply restarting the instance gets rid of any historical data you might have.

With only using SAR and V$FILESTAT, without storing that information in another container (spool or > for example) , Unless you own one of the fancy monitoring tools, statspack is the most common thing we all share.
The statspack gives you the point in time comparisions from before and after, you can compare individual sql statements before and after if you did higher level snapshots (or lower... whatever the proper usage is)

It gives you something to go to management with, not "it seems slower, our reads today are a little slower and the users say it is slow". Instead it lets you go with something like " payroll generation for class C pay used to take 7mins 10 seconds on average. Now after the move it takes 18 mins 12 seconds on average. The SA doesn't believe me because his tools say life is great because he can only look back to the move date. Plus the GL ledger query for the Greenbook used to take 53 seconds to extract. Now it takes 3 minutes 8 seconds, that query is ran and average of 50 times a day over our busy month end adding significant impact to the system. The files for those database objects are all on the new LUN. Here Mr/Mrs Manager is a few pieces of paper and a fancy graph (apex and SVG off of the perfstat tables - what a thing of joy and wonder) . Go tell him to fix it or get a new SA.

As for Ed - Sorry, English is my third spoken/written language. I do the best I can... .go get de-stressed. You are stressed if you are knitpicking grammar in a public forum. Received on Wed Mar 08 2006 - 22:53:30 CST