Re: RAC and undo tablespace

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:02:59 -0800

wagen123_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>> Each instance can only use one undo tablespace at a time.
>> Instances cannot share undo tablespaces.

> WHY? If two instances in a two node RAC cluster can share a temp
> tablespace why not an undo tablespace?
>
> Thanks for your input.

In theory they could have but that is not the way Oracle designed it. As to why this specific design decision was made I can't say. Likely it has to do with the same reason that when performing a backup ... one gneerally backs up UNDO but not TEMP. Temp is expendable.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org